ComfortForShadeBenefit Component - Doesnt work in Rhino 7

Hi,

This has been reported before and I believe Chris said that it was because of the new mesh-ray intersection workings of Rhino 7, thus the ComfortForShadeBenefit component will not work in Rhino 7. We use this component a lot, and now w/ no more Rhino 6 available, we are left with no way (unless we want to build our own component) to do this analysis.

Is there a way this component can be fixed to work with the new Rhino method for the Mesh Ray Intersection, or a new workflow provided?

thanks

The component in question:

Hi @remyweather ,

I am really glad that you brought this up. I was planning to make this the next Ladybug component on my list to port over from Legacy to LBT and, now that youā€™ve mentioned it, Iā€™m confident that this is what I will do.

For the time being, Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t really offer a better solution. But I know that this the line with the RhinoCommon method that has changed:

So, by playing around with the output from that line of code, you might be able to hack it to work.

Iā€™ll post back here once this component is ported over the LBT.

Hi @chris ,

Thanks so much. We actually made our own workflow in the meantime that seems to be doing the same thing as the component, although a bit more cumbersome since it is a whole script rather than a component. It should hold us over for now though until this is ported. thanks so much! will be much appreciatedā€¦ it is a super cool analysis to do.

1 Like

Hi @remyweather ,

Iā€™m just letting you know that I just finished implementing the thermal shade benefit component in the latest development version of the LBT plugin yesterday:

You can get the updated component and the methods needed to run it by using the LB Versioner component.

You can find a sample for how to use it here. And you can see that it gives results that align well with the Legacy Ladybug component:

2 Likes

Amazing @chris ! Thank you so much. Perfect timing too. Will try it out today or this wknd.

Have a great weekend!

1 Like

Hi @chris

Iā€™m likely doing something dumb here and need to install or reinstall / modify LB to get the component to workā€¦ Opened up the example file and get this error in the Shade component

1. Solution exception:
    Failed to import ladybug_rhino:
    Cannot import name generate_intersection_rays

I am running v1.6 right now, I see there is a new v1.7, do I need to update my LB to that and then use it?

Or do I need to download something from the github link above and paste it somewhereā€¦

Sorry, thanks so much again

Hi Chris Iā€™m having an issue with the sample file, I checked and everything else from ladybug_rhino seems to import just fine.
Im using the most recent PO Rhino installerā€™s version of everything

You will need to run the LB Versioner to update to the latest version, which is 1.7.1.

1 Like

this did solve the issue

1 Like

Thank you, @jackD . Thatā€™s the right answer and I just added this into my initial response to clear up any confusion:

Run the Versioner component and then your core libraries will have that generate_intersection_rays method.