ComfortForShadeBenefit Component - Doesnt work in Rhino 7

Hi,

This has been reported before and I believe Chris said that it was because of the new mesh-ray intersection workings of Rhino 7, thus the ComfortForShadeBenefit component will not work in Rhino 7. We use this component a lot, and now w/ no more Rhino 6 available, we are left with no way (unless we want to build our own component) to do this analysis.

Is there a way this component can be fixed to work with the new Rhino method for the Mesh Ray Intersection, or a new workflow provided?

thanks

The component in question:

Hi @remyweather ,

I am really glad that you brought this up. I was planning to make this the next Ladybug component on my list to port over from Legacy to LBT and, now that you’ve mentioned it, I’m confident that this is what I will do.

For the time being, I’m afraid I can’t really offer a better solution. But I know that this the line with the RhinoCommon method that has changed:

So, by playing around with the output from that line of code, you might be able to hack it to work.

I’ll post back here once this component is ported over the LBT.

Hi @chris ,

Thanks so much. We actually made our own workflow in the meantime that seems to be doing the same thing as the component, although a bit more cumbersome since it is a whole script rather than a component. It should hold us over for now though until this is ported. thanks so much! will be much appreciated… it is a super cool analysis to do.

1 Like

Hi @remyweather ,

I’m just letting you know that I just finished implementing the thermal shade benefit component in the latest development version of the LBT plugin yesterday:

You can get the updated component and the methods needed to run it by using the LB Versioner component.

You can find a sample for how to use it here. And you can see that it gives results that align well with the Legacy Ladybug component:

2 Likes

Amazing @chris ! Thank you so much. Perfect timing too. Will try it out today or this wknd.

Have a great weekend!

1 Like

Hi @chris

I’m likely doing something dumb here and need to install or reinstall / modify LB to get the component to work… Opened up the example file and get this error in the Shade component

1. Solution exception:
    Failed to import ladybug_rhino:
    Cannot import name generate_intersection_rays

I am running v1.6 right now, I see there is a new v1.7, do I need to update my LB to that and then use it?

Or do I need to download something from the github link above and paste it somewhere…

Sorry, thanks so much again

Hi Chris I’m having an issue with the sample file, I checked and everything else from ladybug_rhino seems to import just fine.
Im using the most recent PO Rhino installer’s version of everything

You will need to run the LB Versioner to update to the latest version, which is 1.7.1.

1 Like

this did solve the issue

1 Like

Thank you, @jackD . That’s the right answer and I just added this into my initial response to clear up any confusion:

Run the Versioner component and then your core libraries will have that generate_intersection_rays method.