Contour 3D Mesh

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out a way to have contour lines between the gradient of a 3D Mesh as an input.
It might become a very short topic if this is not possible at all with the component called "Ladybug Countour 3DMesh"

The main goal is to have this sort of area clustering on the curved surface.

If this component or any others would work for this specific goal, is anyone suggesting other workarounds? I thought of unrolling meshes and the curve them but seems too hacky or overcomplicating the task…

Thanks anyone who can contribute! :slight_smile:

@Enrico ,

With the way that the contour mesh component was written, it is not possible to get it to work on curved surfaces. The component generates the contours by applying a height field to the colored mesh and then intersecting the 3D mesh with planes to get the countour lines. This method clearly breaks for curved surfaces.

I don’t now if Rhino has a re-roll operation that can work as the inverse of the unroll surface command but this would be needed to use the same methods of plane intersection on curved surfaces.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @chris for your reply! You guys were just fantastic in Copenhagen few weeks ago! :smiley:
Regarding the topic yes, it seems that component is not giving me any contour line that I want on my curved surface but following this other similar topic here:

is there way to at least cluster the colours instead of having a whole gradient from red to blue through yellow, just with those 3 colours as shown in this picture here?

but on a curved surface/mesh?
Thanks again
Cheers

Enrico

This can be easily done if you define colours yourself. Could you post file with internalised results then I will show you. You need a very dense grid for a result looking like that

Haye Mateusz - @ae, thanks for your message!

I attached here the coloured shape of a different but still coloured 3D mesh.
Radiation_Analysis.gh (729.6 KB)

Thank you very much for your help

Cheers

Enrico

This is the solution that I came up with. It will not have such nice curves as with contour mesh, but it works on curved surface. teoretically you could make grid even smaller but it will be probably very slow

Radiation_Analysis.gh (956.7 KB)

1 Like

Hey Mateusz, thanks a lot for your help! That’s actually closer to what I was looking for! :slight_smile:
I still don’t understand why if the mesh resolution is low it also messed up some of the areas (the blue one) colour wise. These two meshes show the issue for example