Control strategies for non-conventional shading systems

Hi everyone,

I wonder if there is any other way in honeybee or HB+ to control non-conventional shading except illuminance thresholds which can be done by advanced DAYSIM ?

For example for annual glare as I have seen in several recommendations, DAYSIM results are not reliable for glare and must be compared with PIT glare analysis (please correct me if I am wrong)…

Or,

Can we set a control strategy based on view to outdoor of the user or direct sunlight receiving by specified sensors for a responsive shading system throughout the year in Honeybee or HB+?

Regards,
Amir

1 Like

do you find a solution for this topic?

HB[+] 0.0.06 is probably still the best way to do Radiance simulations of dynamic objects at this time. In the next few months, we should have support for dynamic objects in LBT Honeybee (probably in a future LBT 1.4 release). At that point, LBT will become the recommended workflow. Until then, HB[+] has the most features around dynamic Radiance objects.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @chris
I am looking forward to the update version. We hope that this version will provide more solutions for controlling advanced shading and blinds in Daysim. Also, the view to outdoor factor in controlling any type of shading or blinds can be a nice idea and almost all solutions can be completed.

currently if you know of a comprehensive sample in Honeybee+ for shading and blind control, please let me know. Usually most of the files I found in the forum were incomplete or full of errors.

best regards
Goharian

1 Like

Hi @Aliarch

If you want to control a complicated facade geometry, namely, non-conventional adaptive facades, I guess there is no easy way to do that, you can use HB or HB+ for point-in-time calculations only, not to control them. If you are working with typical shading systems (only venetian blinds, roller shades and EC glazing) then you can couple HB and EMS to control them, although your outputs are limited to indices that E+ can evaluate.

There is a workaround to predict the energy performance of non-conventional adaptive facade through shade factors, you can check my paper in Solar Energy Journal as a starting point.

Cheers

Hello dr.@AMIRTABADKANI ; Thank you for this clarification
I read your article with great interest and I am very eager to follow this workflow. And I really wish I could make a few minutes of voice calls with you.
The questions I had about your work are as follows:

First of all, I downloaded your file from this topic; I ran the file as a test, but the algorithm has an error. Was the file you uploaded incomplete? Is it possible for me to have your gh file and be able to learn from it?

The next question is that you have defined 4 states in Python code and given this to add String in Energy Plus. But in file , I do not see the 0, 25, 45 and 90 degree states for the window material (xml) to the window geometry. This has confused me a lot.

Dear Tabatkani, I really need your help, please help me. thanks in advance