Create thermal bridge for Honeybee energy analysis

Hello community,

I have finally set a complete model to energy analysis, the problem that I have is how to add thermal bridges, I mean, not use THERM, I just want to add thermal bridge in a model for EP analysis.

I see the option to " Thermally Bridged EP Construction", I think that it change de EP material adding a equivalence adding the thermal bridge.

But that I really want is create an adicional surface to a HBZone that represent the thermal bridge, (The second option of this link:https://unmethours.com/question/30403/whats-the-best-way-to-add-thermal-bridges-in-openstudio/) The problem I am not very sure how to add a extra open surface to a closed HBZone, Its possible?

I tried to descompt the zone and after joing all usin create hbzone from surface, but its says the zone must be close.

I found the videos of therm of Ladybugs tools webside, that collection explain how to do that? I dont think so, but i am not very sure.

Thanks a lot

1 Like

I solved It, finally I used the Thermally Bridged EP Construction using this equation:

Um = Ui + Sum(Phi x L)/Ai

There is a catalogue of phi values written by the Spanish Goverment:

http://www.arquitectura-tecnica.com/hit/Hit2016-2/DA-DB-HE-3_Puentes_termicos.pdf

@gonchotorena

Nice work!

For anyone else wondering, here’s a breakdown of the formula for summing heat flow from clear field assemblies with point/linear transmittance:

From the Morrison Hershfield guide for Thermal Bridging.

3 Likes

Hi!
Now I am facing a similar problem. I want to incorporate the thermal bridges into a Honeybee Model, but using the version 1.1.0 of LBT. So, the “Thermally Bridged EP Construction” is no longer available. So, as far as I know, the possibilities could be:

• Try to set a construction giving the Uvalue (calculated with thermal bridges) and not the materials? Because adding a “thermal bridge material” increases Thermal Resistance instead of decrease it.
  • Recalculate the Uvalue of the construction (taking into account thermal bridges) and make a new construction based on a unique “No mass material”, giving it a Rvalue (1/Uvalue).
  • Creating an extra HB Room with a certain surface to compute the losses already calculated?

Does anyone has a better solution?

Thank you a lot for the support.