Daylight simulation in urban scale

hi to everyone

i was thinking about daylight simulation in urban scale to harvesting the daylight efficiency metrics such as DA,UDI and… and i concluded that in honey be we have no any solutions like daragonfly pluging for simulating energy issues. and i encountered to this paper but it belongs to the long time ago. is there any capabilities for that?

Hi @Aliarch ,

I know that we have not published any formal tutorials on this but every Dragonfly model is translate-able to Honeybee and this is the type of workflow that I would currently recommend if you would like to perform daylight simulations with your urban-scale Dragonfly models.

Because the Annual Daylight recipes are already parallelized and perform optimal splitting of the sensor grids to distribute the computational load, there really isn’t a need for a special paralllelized workflow like what we have for energy simulation with URBANopt.

Here is a sample file with the workflow that I would recommend:

FYI, Dragonfly objects also have the ability to assign ModifierSets to them. If this becomes something that would really streamline your workflows, we can expose it in Grasshopper.

2 Likes

I’m for it.
thanks,
-A.

2 Likes

thanks @chris for your respond.
i thought if there was any workflow for daylight simulation, it will be different according to the calculation method. maybe it takes a lot of time for running due to 2 phase method. anyway this is very useful.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Dragonfly Creating Duplicate Room IDs that Mess Up Daylight Sensor Grids