Direct Sun and Daylight Factor calcs Failing

Hi, my HB Direct Sun Hours and HB Daylight Factor components keep failing.
I have tried reverting to version 1.5.6 using the versioner tool and Sync component. I have reverted back to the latest again using the versioner tool and sync.
I have tried reinstalling Radiance.
I have tried removing all spaces from all names and folder paths.
I have tried turning off cloud synchronisation of my files while running (though I moved the file to a non-synced location too).
I’m using a downloaded EPW, but that shouldn’t affect Daylight Factor as it is not used as an input.

In HB Direct Sun Hours there is a critical failure: DirectIrradianceCalculation(…)
In HB Daylight Factor it is a different failure: PrepareDaylightFactorFolder (failing)

I have attached this WeTransfer link with the .gh file with everything internalised and 2x log files, for Daylight and Direct Sun. (As a new user I cannot upload files yet)

Any help appreciated :smiley:

HB Direct Sun Hours error report output:

Runtime error (PythonException): The recipe failed to run with the following summary:

Scheduled 22 tasks of which:

• 10 ran successfully:
    • 1 ConvertWeaToConstant(…)
    • 1 CopyRedistInfo(…)
    • 1 CreateOctree(…)
    • 1 CreateRadFolder(…)
    • 1 GenerateSunpath(…)

*** 1 failed:**
      ** - 1 DirectIrradianceCalculation(…)**
  • 11 were left pending, among these:
    • 2 were missing external dependencies:
      • 1 DirectSunHoursRaytracing(…)
      • 1 DirectSunHoursRaytracingLoop(…)
    • 4 had failed dependencies:
      • 1 CalculateCumulativeHours(…)
      • 1 ConvertToSunHours(…)
      • 1 CopySunHours(…)
      • 1 _DirectSunHoursCalculation_131d7ce0Orchestrator(…)
    • 3 had missing dependencies:
      • 1 LetDirectSunHoursFly(…)
      • 1 PostprocessDirectSunHours(…)
      • 1 _Main_131d7ce0Orchestrator(…)
    • 2 was not granted run permission by the scheduler:
      • 1 DirectSunHoursRaytracing(…)
      • 1 DirectSunHoursRaytracingLoop(…)

This progress looks :frowning: because there were failed tasks

Use the report_out attribute of recipe settings to see a full report.

Traceback:
line 88, in script

SchoolHBModelRev03.gh (746.0 KB)
logs_daylight_factor.log (70.8 KB)
logs_direct_sun_hours.log (513.1 KB)

Hi @SebStripp,

It says you ran out of disk space since the Radiance octree of your model is huge. However, I believe this is because of the Shades in your model. Some are duplicates and I think this is messing with oconv, the Radiance program used to create the octree. I tried to add the Shades in the end as shown in the image below and it runs without issues.
SchoolHBModelRev03_Edit.gh (745.9 KB)

Btw, you might want to mesh the floor surfaces as seen below. This will give you a uniform grid instead of some grid faces being triangles.

Final remark… If you find that the daylight factor results are odd you might want to increase the ambient resolution. You can see more about that here or here.

Thank you Mikkel. This is all very helpful!
I did find the shading strange as I had only been shown one way of doing it and it is unclear (as a beginner) what differences there are in plugging shading or window reveals in to the room vs the whole model.