Earth Tube - DOAS Supply Air Temp HB 1.2 - Ironbug?

Hello Honeybee Modelers,

TLDR: I want to model an earth tube that precools air before it reaches the DOAS in HB 1.2.0

I noticed that HB Legacy had an earth tube component which presumably was referencing this Zone Earthtube component in EP. From what I understand, this object works in a similar fashion to a natural ventilation object with mins and max’s between heating and cooling setpoints.

This is all well and good, however, it is not what I need, nor is it available in HB 1.2.0 (I think!)

Rather, I would like to model an earth tube at the beginning of the DOAS system, effectively precooling outside air before it hits the cooling coil. The simplest way I can think of doing this would be to approximate the air temp that is entering the DOAS (haven’t found a reference yet, but I’m sure it’s out there.) Do any of your know of a method to adjust the DOAS outdoor air supply temp manually in HB 1.2.0(3)? As with many of my HVAC related posts, I suspect the answer might lie with Ironbug…

This is definitely the type of thing that would require either Ironbug or some custom HVAC creation in the OpenStudio App or OpenStudio Measure.

@MingboPeng might have some ideas for how to do something like this in Ironbug. You might also want to ask a question like this on the Unmethours forum since some of the experts there might have some recommendations of which E+ objects to use.

Thank you very kindly, Chris! Apologies for the late reply. I am going to dine into this in the next couple of months so I will report back on my progress!