Energy plus grid-based analysis on surface

Dear all,

I am currently doing an energyplus simulation to find a surface temperature of a parametric surface.
However, I can only see an overall surface temperature.

Is there any way to make a grid on the surface like this? (So that I can see the surface temperature in a more detailed version).

I usually do the grid-based simulation using a sensor grid for radiance analysis (daylight factor etc), and it happens on the floor, not on the object’s surface

May I know if there is a way to create a grid on the surface like this? (especially for energy plus simulation)

Thank you so much

Regards,
Ricardo

Hi,
in my opinion you have to discretize the surface directly, if you want to get responses from point E+. You can do it parametrically, of course. On the other hand, if you are only interested in radiation then you can use LBT.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for the reply!
Would you mind explaining a bit more about ‘discretizing the surface directly’? I am not familiar with that process.
In other simulation software (i.e. for finite element analysis) we have something called the meshing process
600px-FEM_Mesh
Not sure if ladybug/ honeybee has some kind of similar feature.
Or at least make a grid on various surfaces :pleading_face:

Regards

You need to create a grid of surfaces using Grasshopper to then import as faces into HB and simulate with EnergyPlus.

1 Like

Oh I see, so the only way to achieve that is by separating the base geometry itself before going to the Honeybee…

Thanks!

In my opinion yes if the purpose is to get output values from E+, if you can do solar incidence evaluations instead, then you can do that with LB.

1 Like

Ciao Massimiliano,

this is a interesting solution. I’m curious about the result of your analysis, since I see a 3° discrepancy in a short range. Have you also taken into account the reflected radiation from the walls/context material? This seems to be a hot topic, seeing recent posts, and I believe is also the @ricardo goal.
I ask, while seems im moment not possible to reach this result, like this recent post Possibility to simulate in LBT the outdoor surface temperature caused by solar specular reflections - #8 by chris

Ciao @LaFleur
The case above I created directly with IDF Editor by setting as solar distribution FullInteriorAndExteriorWithReflections having other glazed walls next to it and balconies with medium/clear paved surface.
In addition, the glazing and its response as a function of solar angular incidence were simulated using a BSDF material.
The post-process then was done entirely in LBT reading .idf (for geometry) and .sql for results with appropriate filtering on time, room, etc…
More info here:

N.B. In the image above the evaluation was done on the 95th percentile during the period 06/01 to 31/08 only from 08 am to 08 pm. Zone set point is 26°C.