Honeybee not able to find installed Therm file location

Hello everyone,
I have wondered on post at the forum and couldn’t find anyone with the same problem as me, maybe is a simple issue, but I couldn’t manage it.
I have already therm installed on my machine, but honeybee doesn’t seem to find its file path. I had the same problem with radiance, but I reinstalled directly in C:/ directory and now it works fine. However, I am not able to choose the file location to Therm. It creates a file at C:/Programfiles(86x)/lbnl/therm. I have reinstalled therm a couple of times and it doesn’t seem to change anything.
This is the menssage that Honeybee tells me:

Does someone know a way so I can rewrite the path to Therm on Honeybee, or a way to change the Therm directory location?

Thank you

If you installed the newest THERM, then you need to update the Honeybee.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t this is a file path issue, you have THERM installed in the correct location, HB should find it.

Thank you Peng,
worked perfectly

I countered the same problem even I was using Ladybug 0.0.65 and Honeybee 0.0.62. Also, I just updated to the legacy version but the problem is still there. To mention it, I had installed THERM7.6 before I update my Honeybee to the Legacy version.

THERM7.6 is automatically installed to C:/Users/Public/LBNL2

@MingboPeng what do you suggest in this case?

Hi @HardiBarznji , you just need to update your honeybee, it will fix it. this is because your THERM is newer than honeybee.

Thank you for the reply @MingboPeng. I understand your point, but it there a newer version than Honeybee 0.0.62 (Legacy version)? I have this one which I think it is the last update!

Hi @HardiBarznji there is no major update after 0.0.62, but still there are daily-base updates for some minor stuffs. You can use “Honeybee_Update Honeybee” component to update your honeybee. after it is updated, you can drag the new “Honeybee_Honeybee” to canvas , it will recognize the new THERM.

1 Like

@MingboPeng 's solution is a good one. Alternatively, you can uninstall Therm 7.6 and use Therm 7.5 instead.

Thanks @chris, I solved the problem using “Honeybee_UpdateHoneybee” component as @MingboPeng suggested.
Thank you guys :slight_smile:

the same question with honeybee 0.0.63 & therm 7.7. According to your suggestion,i uninstall Therm 7.7 and use 7.6,it’s done

@stones ,
You will see in the latest release notes that we are currently only supporting THERM 7.5 and 7.6. You can have THERM 7.6 and 7.7 installed side-by-side and Honeybee should be smart enough to find the version that it is compatible with.

Frankly, I haven’t been able to open the THERM 7.7 interface on my machine yet (I get a weird error):
So I think that it may be a while before we have 7.7 support for Honeybee. I have noticed that LBNL is listing 7.7 as a Beta, though, so maybe the hope is that they release a more stable and usable version soon.

Hi Chris.

The new image on our 7-800 computers (installed in February for the academic year until December) includes the latest version of LBNL’s THERM (v 7.7).

We have just discovered that - as this post notes - what our tech staff downloaded as the latest version is in Beta, and not supported by Honeybee yet.

We can solve this for the one individual Masters student who has already noticed, but to assist the tech staff in planning what we might do on the other computers my students might want to us, can you advise do you have a potential time frame for the upgrade of the THERM components to cope with the 7.7 file format.

I note, to my relief, that THERM 7.6 and 7.7 can co-exist…

M

@MichaelDonn ,

I think the best I can recommend is just install 7.6 alongside 7.7 and everything should work.

The chances are low that Honeybee will ever have compatibility with 7.7 since LBNL is making a huge number of changes to the software now and it is not worth it to support them until they have gotten more stable. To put it another way, trying to add 7.7 support to the current Legacy Honyebee would introduce so much inefficiency and potential of breaking workflows with 7.6 that I don’t plan to do it. I also think there is a high chance that some Honeybee features just wouldn’t work at all in 7.7 due to certain bugs, meaning people really would be better off with 7.6 and it’s not worth sacrificing a good thing to support a version of the software that is in transition.

Maybe by the time that LBNL releases 7.8 (or maybe it will be 8.0 at that point), I will look into adding compatibility for Honeybee[+] with that version.

Thanks Chris.

As usual, a clear and informative response. I suspected we had made a mistake, but given the number of computers involved needed to make sure we weren’t going to request work from our tech team that made 200+ of our 700 or so computers non-standard…

M