How to get Honeybee Legacy working with OpenStudio 3.0

Hi @lml, this is because your Ladybug/Honeybee version is too old to work with newest openstudio. Please update the Ladybug/Honeybee and update the old components in you GH files.

Hello, I have downloaded the version of openstudio 3.0.1, and I have done what has been indicated above. I have changed all the components of the Honeybee to the latest ones.
However, I have still got an warning sign, as the image shows. Could this problem be solved?
Thank you.

Thank you Mingbo! Problem solved.

That’s not an issue with your version of OpenStudio, @Syo . It seems related to your geometry. I suggest opening up a separate topic and provide a sample with the minimum geometry needed to recreate the error.

i too installed this but different version showing in output.

Capture

Edit: Solved it. Thanks all

Hi, after solved the infamous problem for “OpenStudioModelCorePINVOKE” , I’ve got another bug in the next part.

I am trying to make a “Energy Simulation With Photovoltaics”
After “Honeybee_Export_To_OpenStudio” running successfully, “Honeybee_Read_generation_system_results” is looking for a .csv file from resultFileAddress. But I have this file and it has the information insdie.

I am using Rhino 6 , Rhino 7 and Ladybug Tools 1.1.0, OpenStudio 3.1.0

Analyse result with .csv inside the zip
ModelToIdf.zip (671.5 KB)
GH photovoltaics example file
Energy_Simulation_With_Photovoltaics.gh (1002.5 KB)

Hello @congzheng_zou. LBT plugins still use OS 3.0.1 officially. You can check the compatibility matrix and this post.

2 Likes

YES ! It’s working now ! Thank you very much. The compatibility matrix is so important

Hello, as I have some older scripts that I want to keep using I want to still have openstudio 2.9 installed. However I also want to be able to test the new features in Honeybee 1.1 which are connected to Openstudio 3.0+.
Is there any way to have them both installed and make grasshopper pick which Openstudio version it should run?

You can install the OS3 in the LadybugTools directory. The Legacy won’t look for this location.
-A.

2 Likes

Which directory you mean? C:/ladybug/ or %user%/ladybug_tools/?

Thanks in advanced.

This one is the one i meant.
-A.

1 Like

I followed the steps but Honeybee is still not working. I have updated to the latest version of both Ladybug and Honeybee. I believe that the issue is about the version of OpenStudio. I am wondering if the Honeybee working well with version 3.0.1?

Would you have some advice on this issue?

Thanks,
-HC

Hi All

I am working with the Hydra example file, updated for the latest Honeybee/Ladybug legacy releases.

Unfortunately for the March - October teaching year we have had installed on all our school computers version 3.0 of Open Studio. I am reluctant to ask the Tech Staff to install a second copy of Open Studio across all our student computers just to solve the compatibility matrix issues. I use the 1.1 version of LBT for most things, but I want to be able to use the Legacy Hydra files as examples of coding and development. This requires the Legacy compatibility with OS 3.0 and above to be resolved.

We can get almost everything running as it should after copying the referenced two files from the lib directory in the OpenStudio folder to the CSharp\openstudio folder. I was surprised on my own computer to find that the OpenStudio 2.9.1 directory did not contain a lib folder at all!

However, we still get the ShadowCalculation error referenced in this forum sequence.

I suspect the error occurs in this sequence in the Python for the ExporttoOpenStudio widget:

I cannot see how to fix it, but it seems to me that the logic of this is that if the version of OpenStudio is 3, then the Calculation Frequency is not set, because reading the Else in this Python extract, it sets other values not the calculation frequency that the error message reports.

As I’d love to avoid asking our tech support to install v 2.9 of OpenStudio across all our multi-user student computers if at all possible, if anyone understands Python well-enough to solve this, i am open to suggestions.

We have updated the file (attached) SingleZoneModel_00_EnergyBalance.3dm (441.6 KB) SingleZoneModel_00_EnergyBalance_updated_11-3-21.gh (614.5 KB)

1 Like

Hi

Trying to use honeybee legacy and already installed both openStudio 3.0 and 3.5 and I am getting warning that honeybee cannot find openstudio on my system.

what can I do about it?

Just upgrade to the LBT plugin. There are bugs in Legacy, which cannot be fixed and LBT Honeybee generally has many more energy simulation features than Legacy.

Hello Chris,

Has the problem that mentioned above been resolved?
I’ve got the same issue although I installed the latest version for all requirements.

Thanks,
Raed

Hi @rsalelwani ,

It’s been resolved by the fact that the LBT Honeybee Plugin currently has all of the energy simulation features of Legacy (except PV, which should be implemented within a month) as well as many new energy simulation features that Legacy never had. Also, all known issues in the geometry export of LBT Honeybee are addressed whereas some legacy issues are not possible to fix.

So just use LBT Honeybee instead of Legacy.

2 Likes

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply!

WOW! it’s clever change!
I left my Grasshopper scripts for a while since I earned my PhD :sweat_smile:
And now, I’d activate my scripts. Can I use the Legacy components with LBT Honeybee? Otherwise, I have to change the Legacy components to the new one?

Thanks,
Raed

It depends on what you mean here. If you just want to have both plugins installed at the same time, you can do this and there are instructions you’ll find on this forum for setting up both installations so that there are no conflicts.

But, generally speaking, the LBT components and Legacy components are not meant to be connected to one another in the same Grasshopper script. LBT is a completely fresh, ground-up rewriting of the whole plugin.

1 Like