How to get Illuminance (Ev) from DGP

I would like to calculate the illuminance (Ev) at the observer’s eye position by the simulation of “Honeybee”. Is it possible?
Ev is a parameter in DGP.

The intent is to decompose the first and second parts of DGP. If the illuminance (Ev) of the observation point is known, DGP can be decomposed into terms.

The fact that DGP can be obtained from simulation means that (Ev) in the formula of DGP can also be obtained.

I would like to know if there is a way to extract only illuminance (Ev) from the simulation results.about DGP.pdf (995.4 KB)

1 Like

daylight_1-2.gh (588.8 KB)
this is a sample file of DGP simulation

1 Like

Thanks, sanihiko.
However, it shows just DGP.
I want to get Ev from Glare analysis.

You can get the detailed results by using -d in evalglare like so:

You will notice on line 273 that it uses runCmdAndGetTheResultsFullResults:

Like the original glare component in HB-Legacy, the results are extracted from a dictionary (line 371-373), but this time we can get the detailed results too (line 374-387):
full_results

You can get Ev or any other value in the image above by creating an output for it:
Ev

Let me know if it does not work for you - try the Grasshopper file below. It will not work if you are setting a task position.

Glare_Ev.gh (535.7 KB)
Honeybee_Glare Analysis_Full Results.ghuser (8.0 KB)

3 Likes

Hi, mikkel

Thank you for creating a new component.

I tried to use it, but got an error.

The message said “Solution exceptation: out of range: -2”.

Do you know the cause of this error?

Hi Keisuke,

Does it give the error at line 79? If so type print(outTemp) on line 78 and see if it prints anything as indicated by the arrow.

Mikkel
Thank you for quick response.

I tried to fix it according to your advice, but it didn’t work again.
I have attached a screenshot of the error screen when I did the test, so please take a look for reference.

Can you please upload/share a link to the HDR image?

Also, please try with this image.

I used the HDR image you sent me and the component worked.
So there seems to be a problem with the HDR image I’m using.
I have attached the HDR image I am using.

It’s the same image you sent me from the simulation, but I don’t understand why it doesn’t work.

A_a_HDR21JUN1200_IMG_0_0.HDR (279.8 KB)

I changed the definition:

It failed because for your image outTemp was empty. Your image gives the stderr/err “error: no valid view specified”. In that case HB adds view information as seen below. But because I was trying to get index -2 of outTemp (empty) it failed just before adding the view information (at line 277). The user object below should work for your image as well.

Honeybee_Glare Analysis_Full Results.ghuser (7.9 KB)

1 Like

mikkel
sorry for my late reply.

Thanks to the components you provided, you can now ask for Ev.

This allows me to make great strides in my research.

I’m really grateful to you.
Thank you.

1 Like

@mikkel nicely done! What do I need to modify to the existing component (except what you have already done) in order to get out the full list of the output per glare source as it normally comes out of evalglare when using the cmd? As you mention the task position input will not work.

or perhaps @mostapha can help me out with that?

Hi @MihailTodorov,

Here are the changes of the previous file in this post.
The per source output is in fact already there - it hides in outTemp. I removed the last item (line 88) since it is an empty string, and added it to line 90:
billede

I added glarePerSource:

GlareFullResults.gh (530.2 KB)
Honeybee_Glare Analysis_Full Results.ghuser (8.2 KB)

1 Like

Hi @mikkel ,

Thanks for that! It really helps me out a lot.
I suspected that are somewhere “hiding” from me, just didn’t know where to look.

1 Like