Ladybug Tools for Grasshopper 1.5.0 Release

Ever evolving ladybug! :clap:

1 Like

You are making many people happy today!!
Thanks @chris and all LBT team.
-A.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: When can we expect Photovoltaics to be integrated natively in Honeybee?

Wonderful release! Thank you so much for always being there for the community!
:earth_africa: :earth_americas: :earth_asia: :sun_with_face: :full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

The release of radiant HVAC systems is huge. Relative to other HVAC systems, it’s heavy dependence on geometry make it uniquely suited to GH/ladybug-geometry. Looking forward to testing it out!

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Questions About the New Single-Click Installer

Excellent
Merci pour cette bonne nouvelle.
J’ai trop hâte de tester la nouvelle version !

Hi Chris,

I’m on the Mac side now, so have to do the install manually.
In the instructions you list Radiance to be updated too by uninstalling and reinstalling, but the compatibility matrix lists it as the same that was used in 1.4:

It could be left alone then, right?

hi @furtonb. I am also using mac now. The radiance version is same for both LBT 1.4 and 1.5 version as far as I know.

Thanks @Asisnath , I already did a clean install for everything anyway.

Look forward to the light toolbox :yum: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@furtonb ,

What @Asisnath said is correct. You don’t need to change your Radiance installation when the compatibility matrix does not change. The note about updating engines is mostly for OpenStudio and URBANopt since these engines tend to make breaking changes with each stable release.

I’ll also add that Ladybug Tools can work with all of the releases of Radiance that have happened after 2021-3-28. So you can also feel free to update your Radiance version if you so desire. You just can’t use any versions of Radiance before that date and have a fully-functioning LBT plugin.

1 Like

Hi @chris , Thanks for the clarification!

Kia ora

I missed this reference to window constructions. I work with a colleague who has studied the Window Construction issues quite carefully in our New Zealand climate. He has concluded that
a) the simple E+ window definition does not deal with Low-E glazing well
b) there are real issues around the built-in ways in which the surface resistances are added to the glass properties that raise questions (that I have seen in other contexts) about consistency of ASHRAE and European definitions of standard values and their consistency with the dynamic models incorporated into E+
c) the R-values ascribed to the frame are often impossibly high in E+ terms if they are to deal with the 3D shape of the frames
d) the complex window model in E+ subtracts the frame from the wall, so WWR definitions need to be carefully considered.
e) On the test cell simulations he has run, the spectral glazing properties do not make a significant difference to the performance
f) There is an input item in Open Studio for the frame / divider / glass properties - even built into the SketchUp interface.

I write because, from his lessons, and taking your excellent Sample Files as the basis, I wish to build a course in our second trimeser where, by August, we are learning to get the Window models correct. We can easily create snippets of .idf files of the window definitions, selecting appropriate window glass and frame properties, but linking them to the windows via adding idf snippet does not associate the snippets to the window apertures. Happy to offer my services as a tester, should that be necessary?

@chris Hi, great updates on LBT!

One update looking forward to the next update:
window-to-wall ratio by orientation (N,E,S,W)

I did that from rhino inside, but the new HB geometry properties component is simpler.

and one advice on energy simulation:
Is it possible to link results to do equipment selection( indoor and outdoor units), from manufacturer data? Basically, for indoor units (FCU), we need total cooling capacity, sensible capacity, heating capacity, operating temp and RH. For outdoor units, that would depend on indoor units.

Oh my… These new features are very exciting, can’t wait to incorporate them into my workflow! Thank you very much and congratulations to the whole Ladybug team. :muscle:

Amazing! thanks Chris, Mostapha and team!

Great work, congrats!

Amazing job as always! :cake:

Amazing work folks!!!
I noticed a couple of components in the previous versions of LB that aren’t in the current version (such as the Radiation Rose and the Wind Boundary profile). Will those be added in the future or have they been migrated in a different way?
Thanks