Making openings in Honeybee with(out) ArchiCAD

I get this also. This seems to happen when the walls are complex profile. Doesnt happen when the wall is generic.

Ive been trying to clean up the complex profile wall geometry from Archicad to a simple brep with “merge coplanar”…but it doesnt work.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I tried out a solution to extract window surfaces from complex walls from archicad.

Seems to work in my case at least. Maybe somone would like to try it out.

As door openings go all the way to the floor they do not work in my attempt, will not create a closed curve and those are culled out. But I will try to think of a method.

I import my windows from AC by setting the geometry detail level in model view options to the lowest setting before running the live connection. Then you will get just a simple surface for the windows.

Ok, I think I will go with that workflow as well. Makes it also possible to seperate the different types of openings.

I wanted to try to create the window surface without changing geometry detail level in AC. I just made a bounding box around the window element with correct rotation according to facade. Then I extracted the outer surface of the bounding box and projected it onto the thermal zone. This seems to work.

Check it out.

ac-gh ladybug_02.gh (515.1 KB)

I will not upload the AC file as it is around 50mb. But its a very simple model with 4 walls and some windows in it and an normal zone bound to inside face of outer walls. I am aware that thermal zones are bound by outside face of exterior walls but the gh script should be simple to modify for that.

The script for automatic openings from walls is also in there. To generate the the door openings, the outer walls in AC have to sink below reference plane (f.ex. 50mm) and the door is raised the same amount (50mm). Also, there is a slider in there that has to be adusted. So this method starts to become too much manual work.

Hi,
I tried severals time the interoperability between Archicad and Grasshopper. It doesn’t work fine.
The problem comes from ArchiCad.
For those reasons we move to REVIT in our School ENSA Marseille.

Basing your choice between Archicad or Revit on its connection with Grasshopper…that’s a bold move :slight_smile:

The connection between Revit and Grasshopper looks promising though!

1 Like

Nice to meet you.I @chris @mostapha @Avik @Asisnath @Frank_Gergaud @joimagg @Aziz.BOUKARA @minggangyin
It’s my first time to ask a question in English, so I’m sorry if there are any strange sentences.

I’m currently trying to use Honeybee1.5.0 on Archidad 25 and Rhinoceras7.0.
I think the live connection feature is excellent.

I’ve tried looking at this page many times. I used this tutorial and the @minggangyin sample data to convert an ArchiCAD model to a bee model. I’ve successfully got it working with legacy version 0.0.66, but it doesn’t work with 1.5.0.

I was able to do 0.0.66 with the same script as the sample, but not 1.5.0. So, referring to the default model shipped with 1.5.0, I connected the window directly (image1), but it did not succeed.
The two types of failure errors (image2) in this 1.5.0 have the same content.

The problem is that the subface’s window object doesn’t align with the main face. However, this may be a problem with the window object in Archicad. However, there may be a way to solve it with honeybee or ladybug.

I want to convert an existing ARCHICAD model to a Honeybee model. Please let me know if there is a better way to do this.
ac-gh2022.gh (89.7 KB)

The error is written like this

1. The following sub-faces were not matched with any parent Face:
    Aperture_30e35518_0
    Aperture_30e35518_1
    Aperture_30e35518_2
    Aperture_30e35518_3
    Aperture_30e35518_4
    Aperture_30e35518_5
    Aperture_30e35518_6
    Aperture_30e35518_7
    Aperture_30e35518_8
    Aperture_30e35518_9
    …more over 100 Aperture

Only three windows are used in the model. However, the error seems to indicate all of the Archicad library window object data.

It looks to me like you are connecting the brep from Archicad windows directly into the glazing/opening module of honeybee. There are two problems with this 1) BREP from archicad window is too complex geometry, should be a single plane 2) This simple surface has to be projected onto the honeybee zone geometry. Scroll up and check my workaround that i posted.

@joimagg thankuyou very mach! but
You’re right, this works fine with 0.066, but it doesn’t work with the latest version because the components change. Please, can you tell me?

Hi! @joimagg thank you for the advice
I used your ac-gh ladybug_02_gh to try it. I didn’t get an error, but the model can’t be displayed well on the display. Select-only preview shows a green silhouette with a window. But there seems to be no windows in the red shaded preview of the analysis. What is this?

To understand the question I need to know which module you have selected in each case?

If the red volume is the ladybug/honeybee zone then it shouldnt have holes. Ladybug/honeybee openings are defined as surfaces projected onto the ladybug/honeybee zone, but it should not make holes on the zone, so to me the red zone looks correct if you have selected the ladybug/honeybee zone. But I need confirmation on that.

Can you upload both of these GH files with the old and the new version?

@joimagg Thank you, I attach three data.
① 0,066 (this is successful)
② Converted to 1.50 (error in Add Subface)
③And I tried your uploaded data. The questions in the red and green photos above are from this data
③ac-gh ladybug_02 (kaori2).gh (514.5 KB)
ac-gh (1.5.0).gh (70.2 KB)
ac-gh (0.066).gh (542.5 KB)

I will take a look at your files.

Regarding point 3. Did you select the windows and “apply” them to the GH Archicad window module? They do not come automatically from the Archicad model if you do not manually select them.

In order to do this you have to click the window tool in archicad, then ctrl+a (select all), then all windows in the model will be selected, then go back to GH and apply them to the GH Archicad window module. I dont know your skill level so sorry if Im over explaining this :slight_smile:

What I have found out is that my script of extracting simple surfaces from the archicad windows is extremly resource demanding when the model becomes bigger. This happens in the bounding box component that needs to analyse allot of geometry for many windows to determine the bounding box. This might be solved by simplifying the model with model view options in Archicad as has been suggested by another user above. This process would be extremly simplified if the AC windows module would include metadata about window height x width and “insert point”.

I know windows applies from Archicad. ,
thank you for your concern

‘‘ would be extremly simplified if the AC windows module would include metadata about window height x width and “insert point”.‘‘
Is this metadata what you enter in Grasshopper? Or is it something you get from Archicad?
Please show me the details if possible.
The model I’m testing right now is very small, but the project I want to simulate will be a large model, so i will be careful.
Also, I understand the details of the model view.

The metadata about window size is not accessible in the Grasshopper from Archicad. Only insertion point and sill height. Weird that Graphisoft doesnt include access to size dimensions.

But I simplified the process of getting the window surfaces by changing the Archicad Model View settings for windows to “schematic”. This way the windows are piped to Grasshopper as single surfaces. This way we dont need any script (or python scrips) to find a single surface from the windows. You DO need to project this surface onto the ladybug zone. This step (projection) was missing in your 1.5 GH file and was the main reason why it was not working.

The python script you used to extract window surfaces is not working for me at all. When i have composite walls, and many windows per wall, the “rule” in the script of finding “untrimmed surfaces” does not end up with an output of only window surfaces. So I would move forward with piping Archicad windows from Archicad with the above mention method.

I looked through your 1.5 script and made some adjustments. I managed to make it work for me. Its importand that the windows in archicad are in “simplified” view mode while the grasshopper connection is live.

Here is a link to functional GH files and a test file I used in Archicad. Its from the Norwegian Archicad version so it might be a bit weird in your Archicad.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16OBnh9gfdSHXXdlILw14hzP8gzZQuZlK?usp=sharing

1 Like

I upload the Grasshopper files here also for others to download, if the Google drive link gets outdated.
ac-gh ladybug_1-5.gh (88.7 KB)
ac-gh ladybug_0-6.gh (559.2 KB)

1 Like

wonderful! I was touched by your kind teaching.
I downloaded your file.
And I understood your explanation.
It’s late today, so I’ll check it thoroughly tomorrow and report back.
Thank you!