No errors but also no vectors

Hi Viola,

I think Devang was only suggesting you delete the folder of your case in /butterfly and then restart your rhino/gh to start over.

There’s no real need to update OF or anything else I think.

Kind regards,
Theodore.

Oh, thank you, this sounds much better…
The purge component in the example file doesn’t work to me, how am I supposed to delete the folder of my case in BF please?
Thank you. Viola

You can access all BF folders for all your cases at your C:\Users\username-here\butterfly folder

1 Like

Hi Theodore,
I tried to follow your suggestions several times but it is still not working, and the folder “1” is not created.
Sometimes it’s going on without errors, but still the vectors look like my picture I sent few messages ago, like if buildings were not there, but lately it’s giving me the error as per picture here attached.
Anything else I can do to make it work please?
Actually an error appears in the OpenFoam_start which I also attach here below.
Thank you. Viola

Hi…
just wondering if anyone would be able to help me with this please…?
I trying various things but it still doesn’t work… thank you!
Viola

From this image OpenFOAM is not installed correctly on your machine. I’m surprised that it ran in the first place.

Thanks Mostapha, I think I did something btw the first times and these last ones (to solve the no folder 1 and no realistic vectors). I will undo it and I ll go back to the original problem, that I send the first picture about, so vectors appear but are straight and seem not to take in account of the buildings+no folder “1” is created.
Please do you know where the problem could sit in this last case?
As I’m really struggling to get this right so I still can’t work on my final project…
Many thanks in advance,
Viola

Does perhaps my old rhino/gh go in conflict with the latest butterfly by any chance…?

Rhino: 5 SR5 (5.5.30717.16015, 07/17/2013)
Grasshopper: 0.9.0076 (August 27, 2014)
Butterfly: 004, updated as per your suggestion on: https://github.com/ladybug-tools/butterfly/issues/341
OpenFOAM 1712
VM 5.2.12

how do you know it is not installed correctly?

Based on this screenshot:

Hi,
I reinstalled all few times, and now it all seems to work without errors following this (Openfoam v1612+, v1706 or v1712 and VM virtualbox 5.x.xx ? how to manage it. · Issue #349 · ladybug-tools/butterfly · GitHub) and updating the BF components and folders. Therefore I now have: Latest BF, OF v.1706, VM 5.2.8 and the Docker Toolbox has been automatically updated to 18.05.0-ce. Followed all videos to set ok the VM, so no errors appear anymore anywhere.

However, I still have the same issue with vectors, please can you look at my post:

Many thanks. V.

Are you sure you are trying to visualize velocity vectors?

Also, a simple way to debug this is to check the input of the vector component. Are these velocity vector values being calculated (should be an x,y,z input list)? Also, make sure the results folders are in the case folder. If the study run all the way to the end, the endTime folder (e.g. 1000/) should be there.

Kind regards,
Theodore.

Yes. I see that you figured from the image. I am trying to understand which message led you to believe that OpenFOAM is not installed correctly?

The maximum number of retries (60) exceeded

Is that it?

Hi Theodore,
thank you for answering,

what I am trying to do is first of all replicate Mostapha video 4 on Butterfly (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0auA5exoL9M) using the example file you guys provided, to have a first working file and move on from there. Because I installed the latest version of BF, there were some components which I had to update (e.g. automatic grading etc), and I did some other things that I noted in capital letters on the file attached, e.g. detached the refinement grid as per your post to Devang. Not sure if those are causing this or what else, I am now pretty stuck…

Not sure what you mean with the vector velocity part of your answer please…?

Re the folders in the case folder, thay are created until the end but number 1 is not created when the snappy mesh runs, as it is shown on the video, nor I see such a refinement grid around the buildings as I see on the video.

Here attached is the file, few images and the link to my other post where I moved this topic: SnappyHex mesh doesn't seem to work

Many thanks. Viola

180702_01_0_outdoor_airflow_VM2.gh (529.8 KB)

No%20-1-%20folder2018-07-02_073929

Hi Viola,

I don’t think you were actually meshing, or at least in the file there was only true for write and not run in SHM component. I have adjusted the definition a bit, adding a small native GH of finding logical values for your wind tunnel based on your geometry, adding castellated and snap in the SHM options (it might be ok to not snap here but we almost always need to snap in production), and have added a small offset to your monitoring surfaces to ensure you don’t get values outside of the mesh.

I don’t see a reason this won’t run end-to-end successfully. If it does not, please post here the logs for blockMesh, SHM, and solution, which you can find in the logs folder of the case.

180702_01_0_outdoor_airflow_VM2_TG.gh (518.9 KB)

Kind regards,
Theodore.

Hi Theodore,
many thanks for the help you are giving me.

I ran what you sent me and this is what I got:

Is it what appears to you too please?

It doesn’t look right to me, e.g. no turbolence behing the building, and instead just straight vectors…?
Also, it’s vertical, how can I have the horizontal view please? I still don’t dominate the tool, sorry…

I basically aim to get a similar image as Mostapha’s video:

And the original example file you guys provide is (I think it’s the previous BF and OF version though):
01_0_outdoor_airflow.gh (427.1 KB)

Finally all the logs you asked for:
blockMesh.log (2.5 KB)
decomposePar.log (4.2 KB)
reconstructPar.log (2.8 KB)
reconstructParMesh.log (3.3 KB)
simpleFoam.log (599.9 KB)

There is also a “rm.log” which is 0kB and therefore I can’t upload it here.

Please just let me know if you need anything else.

One question, is it normal that I don’t see the folder “1” which instead seems to appear to Mostapha after he runs the SnappyHex mesh in his Outdoor airflow video?

Thank you.
Viola

Hi Theodore,
please do you know I could solve this above…?

I tried to look at it horizontally but it’s still showing only straight vectors to me, not sure if I m doing right though…

Many thanks, V.

Hi there,
just to update this topic,

The error could be solve this way: simply set casteleted mesh option (set it to true or false don’t remember). Don’t know exactly why this happend but, It should work properly.

Am I right @viola.maffessanti ?

Best
-Charles C.

True, this remained open, Charles, thank you.
My understanding of the reason why is that Castellated Mesh should be set on True to allow the Snappy refining the mesh. So either you disconnect the wire from the Toggle as you suggested, as by default it’s True, or in the file Thoedore sent me I think it was just a matter of setting the toggle to True, depends on whether you want to snap or not. Which is pretty much what Theodoros wrote in his answer 21. If I am not wrong, of course.

This document goes through each step of the meshing using SnappyHexMesh. I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to use Butterfly and SnappyHexMesh.

1 Like