Problem with adding Window EP Material to Library

Hello all,

I know that the question have been asked before, and I did follow chris’s tutorial, but for some reason the new material does not appear in the library.

Is this the right connection for a window material?
is it related to being a no-mass window? because I only have the u-value and the SHGC.

thanks in advance.

Adding Window material from the library did not work too.

even though I selected the material from the list, I get the following error:

“1. Can’t find FIXED WINDOW 3.81/0.49/0.38 in EP Construction Library.
Add the construction to the library and try again.”

You are missing the input for VT.

You need to update your components (sync with github). I’m pretty sure that this issue is already fixed. Did you try to search the group for this issue?

Mostapha

Thanks Mostapha !

I did add the VT, the component was successfully added to the Library.

I thought because I only had the u-value and the SHGC, the VT will be a default.

Now, I still get the same warning about not finding the material in the construction library.
I think I still need to update the components as you mentioned.

I did use the Honeybee_Update Honeybee,to update my components :

but I still get the same warning,only with the window material, both with new material and the material from library.

I don’t know what am I missing.

I checked the following discussions,although informative, but not with similar issue:

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/topics/ep-custom-materials?group…

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/group/ladybug/forum/topics/wierd-energ…

Thank you for your time and patience.
attached is GH file just in case.

Shading with New elements_with Material.gh (516 KB)

Mostapha, hello. I may be running into this same issue at the moment: the setHBZoneConstr function isn’t able to pull the window construction from the library. I tried sync’ing for the most up-to-date version of LB/HB, and doing the whole quit-restart rain dance, but no success yet. I suppose the work around for the moment is, don’t change the window construction! not a huge deal, I can get at it in the idf. But if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks!

Nick.

I haven’'t answered my own question yet, but do have a little more information…

On running your “uninstall” script, the item selector refuses to budge:

Now to learn how that works and try to do it by hand…

Hi Nick!

Your case is quite different. It’s because Clear 3MM is a “material” and not a “construction”. In EnergyPlus you can only assign the constructions to surfaces. All you need to do is to create a construction using the material and then assign the construction to the zone. Here is an example:

<smacks forehead>

I just wanted to give you an easy question to start the day with;)

Thanks!

:slight_smile: No worries! Hope it’s all fine.

Hi,

I have more or less a similar problem. I am able to add the constructions to the library, but when i run the simulation the report says it says “Failed to find ‘x’ in library”. My components are updated.

Thank you

Blanca

Hi Blanca,

Do you have them added to the custom library or are you creating them live inside the file. If you’re creating them in the file make sure you’re not running Honeybee_Honeybee again which will overwrite the memory library (It is a bug which I need to fix soon). Adding them to custom library will solve the issue for now.

Mostapha

Hi Mostapha,

If I add them to the custom library the addtoEPlibrary component will say it was succesfully added but then it wont appear in the callfromEPConstructionLibrary component. If I refresh the updatehoneybee component it will work just setting the data to the setEPzonecnstr, but I wanted to do a brute force run so I am assuming that after the first one the custom materials wont work. Also the solve adjacencies is not working properly. Not sure if the attached file will work.

Thanks for your help and time!

Blanca

Block C.gh (711 KB)

Hi Mostapha,

What do you exactly mean by adding them to the custom library? Is it an independent file where I have to add the material? (like you would do in DIVA).

This is what I have right now. I’ve also attached the file.

Thank you!

Blanca

New Material.gh (607 KB)

Hi Blanca, See this post: http://www.grasshopper3d.com/group/ladybug/forum/topics/wish-creati…

Thank you Mostapha, problem solved:)

Hi Mostapha,

I think something is wrong with my material definition?

Thanks for your time!

Blanca

custommaterial.gh (574 KB)
userCustomEPLibrary.idf (25.8 KB)

Blanca,

Indeed something wrong. I don’t know why you decided to use Construction:WindowEquivalentLayer for your window. I usually don’t use this and right now can’t check the “benefits” of it. I use a plain/normal Construction definition, assigning the material defined for the simple glazing. See attached. I left your definition as is and added mine at the end.

You forgot to internalize the geometry. I checked it with a simple rectangle as input for the initial curve.

-A.

Attached.

userCustomEPLibrary.idf (25.8 KB)
custommaterial_AY.gh (580 KB)