Rhino 7 and LBT Versioner

Hi,
I get the following error on the Versioner while trying to update in Rhino 7. On Rhino 6 it works fine:

Runtime error (TypeLoadException): Could not load type ‘ComponentAce.Compression.Libs.ZLib.ZStream’ from assembly ‘Microsoft.Dynamic, Version=1.1.2.22, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1’.

Traceback:
line 526, in init, “C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\Lib\zipfile.py”
line 1009, in open, “C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\Lib\zipfile.py”
line 1082, in _extract_member, “C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\Lib\zipfile.py”
line 1028, in extract, “C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\Lib\zipfile.py”
line 316, in unzip_file, “C:\Users\ayezi\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages\ladybug\futil.py”
line 154, in download_repo_github, “”
line 241, in script

Thanks,
-A.

Thanks for reporting, @AbrahamYezioro . It looks like this issue happens because McNeel is using a newer IronPython in Rhino 7 and it seems that the native IronPython zipfile module is not working correctly in this new version.

Perhaps @wim could verify whether this is an issue that McNeel could address on their end by fixing the zipfile module in their IronPython plugin. If not, I assume that we’ll have to develop a workaround for the lack of a functioning zipfile module on the Ladybug Tools end.

In the meantime, you can rest assured, @AbrahamYezioro, that running the Versioner in Rhino 6 updates the Ladybug Tools plugin for BOTH Rhino 6 and Rhino 7. So, just running the versioner in Rhino 6 will allow you to keep everything updated for now.

This is what i did … :slight_smile:
Thanks,
-A.

Hi -

We assigned one of our developers to take a closer look at this. Thanks for flagging the issue, @chris!
-wim

@AbrahamYezioro
Would you mind checking the file info on the C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\Microsoft.Dynamic.dll on your machine? Does it match this?

Also would you mind running a search for Microsoft.Dynamic under C:\Windows\assembly as see if any other version of this dll is installed globally?

Hi @eirannejad,

Yes. It is a match.

No. There is not another one like this.
Thanks,
-A.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, @wim and @eirannejad .

I just wanted to note that I downloaded and installed the most recent Rhino 7 but I was unable to recreate @AbrahamYezioro 's issue. So it might be worth confirming whether you are using the most recent version, Abraham.

1 Like

Hi,
My R7 version is the very last one, SRC 7.1.20322.15001, 11/17/2020, from today.
This is the screen i get:

Thanks,
-A.

1 Like

Hi @chris @AbrahamYezioro. Today I installed Rhino 7 latest version (as mentioned above by Abraham). I have Rhino 6 installed too. To test the working of both Legacy and Lbt plugin, i dragged them to Rhino 7 canvas. Except for Ladybug legacy and honeybee legacy, all other plugins from legacy and LBt throws an error with Rhino 7 but works fine with Rhino 6. Can you suggest how can I solve this? Two things come to my mind

1. Completly uninstall Rhino 6 and reinstall all plugins with Rhino 7 or,
  2. Reinstall all plugins using Rhino 7 keeping Rhino 6 too on the same disk location.

lastly even i get the same error as Abraham when updating butterfly and LBT

1 Like

@Asisnath,
I believe you need to run the .bat file according to these instructions, stage 4. Remember to close Rhino before.
Hope it helps.

-A.

1 Like

Hi @AbrahamYezioro. You were correct. After installing Rhino 7, again I have to run the batch file. Now it’s working. But the update components for both LBT and legacy throws the same error as yours.

1 Like

So now we are two with the same problem. Even though @chris is not having it probably there are/will be more users having it. Let’s hope @eirannejad will catch the error.
-A.

1 Like

Ok. I’ll do a reinstall of all the apps on my machine and will try to replicate this error. So far I’m not seeing any which is very weird.

Hi @eirannejad. Any update on this?

@Asisnath @AbrahamYezioro I reinstalled Rhino and the apps and can not replicate this issue. Let’s figure out where is the conflicting “Microsoft.Dynamic” coming from. Would you please run a system-wide search for “Microsoft.Dynamic” and see how many versions are available on your machine? For some reason the runtime is trying to load an incorrect version

Hi @eirannejad,
This is what i’ve found in my machine Indeed i have many versions.

-A.

Okay great. Seems like there are at least 5 different versions. Are you testing this LBT component of Revit? (Rhino.Inside.Revit). If not let’s focus on the one inside C:\Ironbug and get the dll info so we can see what version it is

So far i’m not testing the RHino.Inside.Revit, but maybe at some point i will.

The ironbug version is different than the one you posted above. it is 1.1.2.22.
Can be that? Not sure since i’m assuming @chris is also having it and he is not having this issue.

In any case i also checked the other version files.
The one in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2021\SDA\AddIns\BackendBindings\PythonBinding is 1.1.0.20.
Also same version for the one at C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2021\SDA\AddIns\BackendBindings\RubyBinding

All the others are 1.1.0.1000
Thanks @eirannejad,
-A.

1 Like

Great! The ironbug version seems to exactly match the dll version from error above

Runtime error (TypeLoadException): Could not load type 
‘ComponentAce.Compression.Libs.ZLib.ZStream’ from assembly ‘Microsoft.Dynamic, 
Version=1.1.2.22, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1’.

I think this is the culprit. This seems to be related to LadyBug Tools. If this is not what you are using I suggest removing it (make backups) and testing LBT in Grasshopper again

I did a fresh LBT install on my machine and I don’t have the ironbug directory

1 Like

This is it!!
I neutralized the Ironbug folder and the versioner is running now fine in RHino 7.
@chris and @MingboPeng FYI. Any ideas how to solve this at your end?

Thanks @eirannejad!
-A.

3 Likes