'Solution exception:iteration over non-sequence of type NoneType' error while attempting to run simulation on 'shoe_box_energy_model.gh'

Hi,

I am a Mac user with the m1 chip and I have installed Parallels to use Rhino 7 on Windows 11.

I installed ladybug-tools-1-3-0, OpenStudio-3.2.0, python-3.7.9, and Radiance_947ea88a. Then I tried to run the sample file ‘shoe_box_energy_model.gh’ from the ladybug-tools-1-3-0 folder but it failed and I received the following error:

'Runtime error (TypeErrorException): iteration over non-sequence of type NoneType

Traceback:
line 35, in , “C:\Users\users\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages\lbt_recipes\version.py”
line 33, in check_openstudio_version, “C:\Users\users\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages\lbt_recipes\version.py”
line 130, in script’

While using ‘LBT Check Installation’ file to check with my ladybug-tools installation it succeeded to locate the path of the tools but failed to recognize the version of openstudio as shown in the following figure:

I tried using the solution provided by ‘seghier’ in Encoding error when using OpenStudio - ladybug-tools - Ladybug Tools | Forum to solve this issue but it did not work as well.

May I ask if there is another solution to address this problem?

Hi @cicjeir ,

I was just doing a test to see if I could get it to run on a m1 with windows 11 as well. I am definitely also having issue with E+ and/or OpenStudio? I am getting errors trying to install and run both applications, even independent of Rhino/honeybee.

For what it is worth: I do have everything running well so far on the Mac OS side. Rhino’s license server should automatically allow you to switch over from windows to mac install, and then LBT and OpenStudio all seem to run as expected (so far).

if you have found a solution to the Windows 11 in Parallels install though that would be nice to know though?

best,
@edpmay

Hi @edpmay ,

Thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

Sorry to inform you that I cannot find a solution to run these applications on Windows 11 in Parallels, but I agree that everything runs well on the Mac OS. I guess the for people who are facing the same problem need to switch over from windows to Mac OS to run these applications.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
@cicjeir

Hi @cicjeir ,

The error message that you get for this case in LBT version 1.4 should be MUCH more helpful than this “NoneType” error that you get in LBT 1.3. We had several users where their IT department had blocked their OpenStudio executable and so we changed LBT 1.4 to give a clear error message for this case. Other possible causes are encoding errors because of your operating system’s language settings.

Whatever the problem is, LBT 1.4 will tell you what is wrong.