Syntax to add custom objects and fields in HB model

Dear @chris and @mostapha

I have been using a workaround with EPPY to integrate or modify the building energy model generated from HB tools. Recently, I have been working on a research topic that needs integration of a few objects and fields that cant be performed with the available HB components. Integrating outside in IDF is not allowing me to bring back the model into Rhino-GH through the load model component. Yes, I have made sure that the E+ version remains 22.1, yet, it didn’t work.

So, I want to use the HB Energy SDK to create the component that can allow me to append custom objects and fields. This can help me to use the HB annual load component for quick simulation results.

Can you please give me an example of syntax I need to use for creating the custom component? I am versed with E+ IDD based objects and fields indexing but not with OpenStudio CLI.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi @Naga, you need to be more specific about what you’re trying to do. Can you provide an example of one of the parameter that you’re trying to change? Maybe share a code sample that shows how you’re using eppy to make those changes.

Hello @mostapha

Thanks for your response.

I am planning to use the AirflowNetwork:MultiZone:Component:DetailedOpening object to E+.

Currently HB AFN component is allowing me to model the SimpleOpening object.

Hello @mostapha and @chris

I found a solution with OpenStudio, but when trying to assess the OpenStudio from HB (ladybug_rhino.openstudio module — ladybug-rhino documentation), the ladybug_rhino.openstudio is throwing error - “C:\openstudio-3.5.0\lib\openstudiolib.dll bot found”.

Can you please help me in addressing it?

Hi @Naga, You should share a sample code with us to be able to help you.

If I have to guess, either the DLL file is not copied at the correct address or it is blocked.

I suggest you use the Pollination Grasshopper installer to install all the modules and dependencies and use the Python that comes with the Ladybug Tools installation.

1 Like

Thank you, @mostapha for the response.

I am happy to inform you that I could complete the task (just now, :slight_smile: ) using the writer module in the Honeybee_energy class.

The writer class was very helpful, and I thank you for developing such a resourceful SDK.

It would be wonderful if we could have an index system for the LB Tools SDK similar to the E+ documentation, which can help us explore the potential modules.

Once again, thank you so much for your support.

Hi @Naga - Glad to hear the problem has been resolved.

The credit goes to @chris and the rest of the team. I had minimal involvement in the honeybee-energy development.

Have you seen this page?

https://discourse.ladybug.tools/pub/ladybug-tools-core-sdk-documentation

There is a link to the documentation for all our available libraries.

1 Like

Thank you @chris :blush:

@mostapha, I have visited the page multiple times. It’s an amazing resource but it will be more helpful if we can recluster the modules based on applications - model, append, edit, translate and so on.

It’s just a thought. :sweat_smile:

Thankyou once again.

FYI, @Naga ,

I might recommend making use of the add_str_ input to the various energy simulation components if you have not already. That input allows you to append whatever extra IDF text to the model exported by the component and I know of some researchers who have added a whole AFN before that way. Of course, if you know Python, you can also just append the text in Python after using the writer methods. Oo you could use the OpenStudio SDK to edit the honeybee-exported OSM, adding in whatever AFN you want.

1 Like