Wind speed sensor input for HB UTCI Comfort Map

Hi all,

I was reading this post here:

Looks like the new functionality in 1.3 is exactly what I am looking for, however, I am after inputting wind speed (from CFD) as a spatial quantity, i.e. 1 wind speed input per sensor on the grid. Looks like currently hourly continuous or single value is possible, and if supplied more than 1 speed (1 speed/sensor) it computes per speed. Are there plans to enable this? Or would I be capable of modifying this myself to work in this way?

Best,
Darren

Hi @dlynch ,

You are correct that it’s not currently supported but there are definitely plans in the works to allow the specification of an air speed matrix in the comfort maps. Technically, the commands running the UTCI calculation under the hood already have options for --air-speed-mtx so it’s really just a matter of exposing this on the component:

https://www.ladybug.tools/ladybug-comfort/docs/cli/mtx.html#ladybug-comfort-mtx-utci

I just have to figure out how we want to do this elegantly since Honeybee models can have multiple sensor grids but it would be nice to have all of the wind speeds in a single CSV file. Long story short is that I need to think about implementation details a little more and, if you really need this capability right now, you can run that ladybug-comfort mtx utci command on top of the conditions in the comfort map simulation folder (specifying your own --air-speed-mtx to run the calculation with those speeds).

Hey @chris thats great to hear that it is intended in the future, and I think I can do something in the short term with this information, thank you!!

Best,
Darren