Butterfly 0.0.05 bluecfd io error

Hello,

I’ve downloaded the latest version (0.0.05) of butterfly from food4rhino on Rhino 6 and Win7 64bit, installed it with the installer.gh and tested after sucessful installation the outdoor airflow example. It works fine until I activate the write option and the the run option on the blockmesh component. Then I get:

Updating cell size in blockMeshDict.
Updating grading in blockMeshDict.
Saved changes to blockMeshDict to:
C:\Users[user]\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\system\blockMeshDict
Runtime error (PythonException): Das Handle ist ungültig.
Das Handle ist ungültig.
Das Handle ist ungültig.
Das Handle ist ungültig.
Das Handle ist ungültig.
tee: failed to reopen ‘stdout’ with mode ‘wb’: Bad file descriptor

–> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
error in IOstream “Sout” for operation Ostream& operator<<(Ostream&, const char*)

file: Sout at line 16.

From function virtual bool Foam::IOstream::check(const char*) const
in file db/IOstreams/IOstreams/IOstream.C at line 96.

FOAM exiting

Traceback:
line 278, in _handle_process, “C:\Users[user]\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager_bluecfd.py”
line 213, in _run_ironpython, “C:\Users[user]\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager_bluecfd.py”
line 234, in run, “C:\Users[user]\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager_bluecfd.py”
line 756, in command, “C:\Users[user]\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\case.py”
line 788, in blockMesh, “C:\Users[user]\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\case.py”
line 52, in script

when I run the ir.bat file from the “command shell” everything is fine and blockmesh starts and runs without error. Do you have a hint how to overcome this issue? It’s the same with the other examples.

thanks in advance

Gabriel

@GG ,

I am by no means the the best expert of OpenFOAM errors on this forum but did you run the blueCFD-Core terminal as administrator as described in step 3 on the wiki?

Alternatively, does running Rhino as administrator address the issue?

Yes, I ran both (blueCFD cor terminal and Rhino ) as Admin, but I always get this error

Hi, I have the exact same error but with Rhino 5. Any inputs?
Thanks in advance!

Hello,
exact same here.

• Windows 7 // Rhino 6
  • Installed blueCFD-Core 2017-2 in standard folder
  • Open bluecfd terminal as admin
  • Reboot
  • Installed Butterfly 0.0.05 with one error: “Failed to remove C:…\UserObjects\Butterfly
  • Reboot
  • Open Rhino 6 as admin
  • Open example file 01_9_outdoor_airflow
  • Get the error when flagged true the blockmesh…
  • Went to bed sad

Guys,
windows 7 was the problem…

re-done everything with win 10 and it works

1 Like

Damn, ok, thanks for the update!

Hello, it seems i’m having the same issue. When I am opening the Buoyancy example file in Butterfly, the blockmesh component is giving me the error message as can be seen in the attached image. Is there any other way around than changing to Windows10? (I’m running on Win7 right now) Thank you!

Same problem here in blockMesh:

1. Solution exception:The handle is invalid.
    The handle is invalid.
    The handle is invalid.
    The handle is invalid.
    The handle is invalid.

–> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
error in IOstream “Sout” for operation Ostream& operator<<(Ostream&, const char*)

file: Sout at line 16.

FOAM exiting

Anyone got it solved?

Hi @jck,
Have you find any solutions yet?I faced the same issue!

1. Solution exception:Generating stack trace…

–> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:

file: Sout at line 97.

FOAM exiting

@mostapha, I am running into this same issue on windows 7 and 10. Are there any other locations of log files or places to look that might indicate what’s causing the error?

C:\Users\chanley\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\system\blockMeshDict
Runtime error (PythonException): The handle is invalid.
The handle is invalid.
The handle is invalid.
The handle is invalid.
The handle is invalid.
tee: failed to reopen 'stdout' with mode 'wb': Bad file descriptor

Traceback:
  line 278, in _handle_process, "C:\Users\chanley\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager_bluecfd.py"
  line 213, in _run_ironpython, "C:\Users\chanley\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager_bluecfd.py"
  line 234, in run, "C:\Users\chanley\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager_bluecfd.py"
  line 756, in command, "C:\Users\chanley\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\case.py"
  line 788, in blockMesh, "C:\Users\chanley\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\case.py"
  line 52, in script

edit: this is when running the sample file 01_0_OutdoorAirFlow.gh

hello all,

getting a similar but not identical issue here. Have any of you had any luck? I get this message whether I am running rhino as admin or not.

D:\Users\07093\butterfly\outdoor_airflow\system\blockMeshDict
Runtime error (Win32Exception): WindowsError

Traceback:
line 232, in run, “D:\Users\07093\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\runmanager_bluecfd.py”
line 756, in command, “D:\Users\07093\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\case.py”
line 788, in blockMesh, “D:\Users\07093\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly\case.py”
line 52, in script

@kvwxyz I suggest you install Rhino at Drive C.

I believe Rhino is installed on C. (shortcut points to C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\System), although this is a complex corporate network so I didn’t install it myself.

@kvwxyz I got it. Can you run rhino and blueCFD as admin?

I normally cannot (apparently it’s not necessary for this version of butterfly, as Mostapha confirmed for me), although I have run rhino as admin to check if that was the issue. However I still got the same error message.
thanks,

edit: to clarify, I did not try running CFD core as admin, only rhino.

1. Solution exception:The handle is invalid.
The handle is invalid.
The handle is invalid.
The handle is invalid.
The handle is invalid.

*–> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR: **
error in IOstream “Sout” for operation Ostream& operator<<(Ostream&, const char)

file: Sout at line 53.

** From function virtual bool Foam::IOstream::check(const char*) const**
** in file db/IOstreams/IOstreams/IOstream.C at line 96.**

FOAM exiting

Same here. I got the same error in BLOCKMESH phase while running outdoor airflow.

I am using Window 7 and tried run Rhino and BlueCFD as admin but doesn’t work.

Can any hero help with this?

hi, I have the same problem as you. Have you solved it?

i am having exactly the same problem as you and @kvwxyz . I created a new thread with this issue. Lets hope it gets solved soon!

Hi @Werido , hi @nach ,
Sorry, my project moved on past the stage where i could usefully incorporate butterfly, so I could not spend any more time trying to get it to work. I’m only coming back to this now - seems like may people are having a similar problem. Let me know if you could get anything to work…
Kevin