Dragonfly_windows error with open dss example

Hi @chris. Today I updated to urbanopt version (also updaed the lbt to dev version) 0.5.1 and tried to run open dss example file. It threw a windows error as shown below.

open_dss_example.gh (109.6 KB)

1 Like

@Asisnath ,

Are you sure that you ran the LB Versioner and you have the latest version of the core libraries installed? I am able to run the file without issues using URBANopt 0.5.1. Maybe you should also try making sure that the folder into which you are writing the geoJSON is clean (delete the folder before running the component).

FYI, this is not related to your error but I have not posted the installation instructions for the OpenDSS workflows yet (they are little bit WIP right now but they will still work). In any case, you won’t be able to use the OpenDSS component unless you install OpenDSS.

To install OpenDSS right now, you need to do the following:

1. Install Python 3.7.9 by downloading the exe from python.org and running it.
  2. Open a terminal and type the following command:
pip install urbanopt-ditto-reader -U
1 Like

hi @Asisnath
Can you explain to me the steps you took more clearly? I inputted the same command in Python; But it gives syntax errors. Thank you very much for your help.

Hey @Aliarch ,

Just open a normal command prompt instead of a Python editor. You can find it here by searching in the Windows menu:

thanks @chris
I did, but it still gave an error. pip is not recognized

You can try:

py --version

to check the version for the system.
You can try:

py -m ensurepip --upgrade

to try to get a pip update or download.
Lastly, download pip:

py get-pip.py

Or check the docs. Installation - pip documentation v21.3.1
After resolving:

pip install urbanopt-ditto-reader -U

Make sure you have the spaces correct in the command.

1 Like

thanks @Geo_curious
error again. syntax error

try it again. It looks like you activated python in Command Prompt. You should not have executed:

C:\Users\Arian>py

The command you might have meant to execute was:

C:\Users\Arian>py --version

go to your command prompt. enter this:

py -m ensurepip --upgrade

If that does not work, follow the previous instructions.
If you see the command line change from C:\Users\Arian> to >>> DO NOT continue. Type exit(). Start over from C:\Users\Arian>

Best of luck.

Thank you both for the conversation here.

I realized that you weren’t the only one struggling with the urbanopt-ditto-reader installation and I decided that it would be best for me to just wrap the whole installation process inside the component:

So, if you use the LB Versioner to upgrade to the latest development version, everything should be done for your automatically, @Aliarch . I’ll just note that you need to be connected to the internet the first time that you run the OpenDSS component but this seems like a relatively small price to pay for easy installation.

1 Like

17 posts were split to a new topic: URBANopt WindowsError due to System Language Settings