Legacy exportToOpenStudio - CSharp OpenStudio_IdfFile oad SWIG_6 in DLL openstudio_csharp.dll

Hi,
I’m facing an error that i can’t figure out how to solve/deal with it, after many trials.
“Unfortunately” i have to use the Legacy version to simulate energy performance (many procedures developed for Legacy are not yet updated to LBT).
I’m trying to use a file that used to work a year ago (still with the very latest Legacy version, August 2020). It also worked with OS 3.0.1, which is the latest OS supported in Legacy (see this discussion).
Well, now when i try to simulate i get the following error in the exportToOpenStudio component:

Runtime error (EntryPointNotFoundException): Unable to find an entry point named ‘CSharp_OpenStudio_IdfFile_load__SWIG_6’ in DLL ‘openstudio_csharp.dll’.

Traceback:
line 367, in addDesignDays, “”
line 5443, in main, “”
line 5685, in script

I don’t know what changed since last year but i believe there is no doubt that some of the new LBT (?) definitions are affecting the Legacy.
I created a simple file that shows the issue that looks like this:

RH6_OS_Problem.gh (569.5 KB)
I’ll appreciate your view on this, since it is critical for me to be solved.

BTW, the reason i’m using OS 3.0.1 is becouse the massive use of Window Shading Controls that were problematic on previous OS versions (See this discussion).

Thanks,
-A.

Hi,
Want to report some advancements in this issue.
There is no doubt there is a bond between LBT settings and Legacy.
My configuration is as follows:
OS: Have two versions installed on C: (2.9 and 3.0.1. Legacy uses the 3.0.1 when loading)
Rhino: I have R6 and R7 installed. For the case i need to simulate i need to use R6 because some of Legacy components are not functioning as expected.
Legacy: Have the very last version.
LBT: Have the very last development version.

What i did? To prove the bond between Legacy and LBT i neutralized the LBT installation (just changed the name of the ladybugtools folder).
Now when i simulate i don’t get the previous post errors (good news, i suppose), though i’m getting different ones (Complains about the WindowProperty:ShadingControl, but this is a different discussion that i mentioned in the previous post).
Next i neutralized the OS3.0.1 (changed its name to something else) in such a way that when GH loads it uses OS2.9.

Now the file is working (well?). I’m able to run the simulations, hopefully i can rely on the results.

So what can I (we?) learn from this case? Can Legacy and LBT live together when Energy simulations are needed? I believe not, but will be glad to hear your opinion (@chris?).
As for the WindowProperty:ShadingControl what i understood from other discussions OS3.0.1 is supposed to work but it is not (as i said, a year ago it used to work, now i can’t explain why it isn’t now).

Sorry for this long post and heavy issue. I think it can be relevant for more than one now or in the future.

Thanks,
-A.

Hey @AbrahamYezioro ,

A gew of things:

1. There is 100% support for all Legacy shading control features via the WindowConstructionShade component in LBT. The only thing that is arguably missing is the dynamic behavior of the windows in the comfort maps. Is this what you are in need of? If not, then you should really use the LBT plugin.
  2. The Legacy has absolutely no knowledge of the folder at C:\Users\[USERNAME]\ladybug_tools so it is impossible for it to find an OpenStudio installation there. So just install OpenStudio there any everything will be fine.
  3. The LBT plugin is not currently compatible with OpenStudio 3.0.1 (not the last stable release nor the development version). If you’re using the development version of LBT, then you should just install OpenStudio 3.2 in the ladybug_tools folder.
  4. Just making sure that we’ve checked all the boxes but did you set up OpenStudio 3.0.1 for compatibility with legacy as noted here (How to get Honeybee Legacy working with OpenStudio 3.0)?

Hi @chris,
Thanks for your quick answer.

Unfortunately is not that. The procedures i mentioned are own python code that, by now, depends on Legacy. In the process of adapting but not there yet. The issue is that i’m writing a paper from a lot of runs i did a year ago. Now i need to make another set of runs and want/need to use the same code. As i wrote, it worked just fine with OS3.0.1, so now i don’t get why it isn’t.

As i wrote, in C: i have OS2.8 and 3.0.1 to work with Legacy. On the ladybugtools folder i have OS3.2. Legacy recognizes 3.0.1 but when running the errors i mentioned show and the runs fail. Just after i did all the mentioned manipulations they went through. So somehow there is something from LBT affecting Legacy. Maybe something with the PATH of the system. I don’t know.
In case you have OS installed on both locations, do you succeed running the file i posted above?
In any case, i don’t think i’m going to deal again with using both versions, but wanted to report what is going on in my case. Maybe there are others that use both of them…

As i said, this is what i have. I have no problem at all with LBT, just Legacy.

Exactly did that but without success.

Thanks again. This topic is a mess, ah?
-A.

@AbrahamYezioro ,

I had no problem running the Legacy file that you uploaded:

Whatever was not correct about your OpenStudio 3.0.1 installation, it’s not something that I have been able to recreate on my machine.

I an also confirm that the LBT plugin doesn’t edit the PATH at all.

Thanks @chris,
This is one of those weird cases.
As for the OS3.0.1 I uninstalled and installed again. There is not much to do it wrong there. Didn’t help.
But this was not only that but also the ladybugtools folder (or contents). All worked after i “neutralized” both folders.
Don’t know what to say …
One more thing: This happens on 2 different machines.
-A.

It’s hard to know what’s going on if I can’t recreate the issue. Do you want to just check whatever is in you PATH to see if there’s a path to OpenStudio there? Normally, there shouldn’t be any but maybe you manually edited it at some point.

Also, does Legacy Honeybee_hobeybee report that you are using OpenStudio 3.0.1?

Hi @chris,

You are right. There isn’t.

Yes it is. And that’s it one of the weird things.

Right now i’m running what i need *after neutralizing LBT and OS 3.0.1). Hopefully in a couple of days i’ll be done. Not sure it is worth to invest efforts here beyond what i did.

Thanks,
-A.